Wednesday, December 5, 2007

365 Crochet Stitches a Year



This is another stitch dictionary I just got! 366 (including a day for leap year) patterns in a perpetual calendar. There are months and days listed, but no years. So this stitch calendar will last a long time. And with 366 great patterns, it will take a long time to try them all. But that's what I'm going to do. Jean Leinhauser and Rita Weiss are long-time crochet and knit designers, editors, etc. They have so much knowledge between them, and it shows in their books. This one is no exception. Jean said they went to lots of different sources to find patterns, and I can see that by looking through this book. They have lacy patterns - one looks like it could be a drop-stitch knit pattern - shell patterns, picot patterns, variations on scs, ripple stitch patterns, variations on filet mesh patterns and spider web patterns, and many more! They don't give hook size or gauge - you can work these patterns in any thread or yarn, and appropriate size hook. What they do give is the stitch repeat, so you can make the pattern however wide you want it.

There is only one thing missing from this book - stitch pattern diagrams. I like to look at a new stitch pattern, by looking at the directions, the photo, and the stitch diagram. All three used together help me learn the new pattern. And I have been teaching my students to use (or write for themselves) stitch diagrams. But, I will still recommend this book, because of all the new patterns that Jean and Rita present here!

No comments: