Monday, August 25, 2008

beyond the square Crochet Motifs


If you like stitch pattern books with lots of swatches to look at, if you like looking at lots of well-made swatches, if you like to follow stitch diagrams, if you like to follow well written directions, if you like hints for novice and not-so-novice crocheters, if you like "how-tos" that go beyond the usual, if you like to experiment and tailor stitches and motifs to suit yourself and your designs and welcome some advice about how to do that, if you like pictures and ideas of what to design with all the motifs, if you like help with solving problems, and information about how to solve other problems you might have, if you like a book that will lie flat, if you want a book with a lot of motifs that are not found in other stitch dictionaries, if you want motifs in all different shapes - what are you waiting for? You need to get Beyond the Square, Crochet Motifs, by Edie Eckman, who wrote another wonderful book that I recommend to all my students - The Crochet Answer Book.

If you just look at the cover of this book, you'll see many of the motifs that are presented. Open it up, and you get all of the information above, and more. The motifs are grouped into shapes, circles, hexagons, triangles, squares, and unusual shapes, and each chapter has a color theme. There is much more in the book, though. The beginning is a mini-crochet motif workshop, and includes information on how to join the motifs, how to get them flat, how to make them uniquely your own, how to end the rounds so that you don't see where the ending is, and much more.

I got my copy almost 2 weeks ago, and I've been looking and drooling over all the patterns - wishing I had some time right now to swatch and play. But, alas, that will have to wait! Portland, Oregon, and the CGOA Regional conference is in less than 2 weeks. I'll be teaching 6 classes there - and I have all my stuff to pack and send - class handouts, swatches and samples, and all the other goodies I've collected for my classes. And I'm trying to finish some new garments for me to wear during the week in Portland. That's what's fun about these conferences - seeing what each designer has made for herself/himself to wear! Check out the classes at Knit and Crochet Show, and don't forget, even though on-line registration is over, you can still register for classes at the conference. And don't forget to check out the vendors who will be at the yarn market! Can't wait!

Click below to find out more about Beyond the Square!

No comments: