Sunday, November 9, 2008

Crocheted hat discovery!



I was taking a break today from writing patterns and working on projects, when I decided to visit the Coats & Clark web site. I came across a picture of a hat (the one pictured above) that had my name attached to it as the designer. "Wait a minute," I said to myself. "I don't remember working anything in that yarn! And the only hat I did for Coats was in ......." And then it came to me. The hat I designed was in a yarn that has been discontinued, and Coats is now publishing the pattern in Vision, one of the Moda Dea yarns. And yes - that is the pattern I designed! And good news - you can download it for free. Click here.
But best of all, I have been drooling over some new yarn that I spied in a couple of yarn shops. Self-striping wool! Colors to die for! Lots of yardage in one skein, so I think if I make this hat in the new yarn, I would only need one skein. I just may have to start renewing my stash, one skein at a time.

Added on November 12:
I found some yarn in my stash that I thought would look good as this hat, so I made it today. And, yes, it did take about 2 hours. However, I was following the pattern and found an error in it. At least, it didn't seem right to me at the time. But I was at our Wednesday night Sit and Stitch at our local B&N, and didn't have with me the copy of the pattern that I wrote. I just had the one that is available on the Coats web site. So I wasn't sure how to correct the error - add more row repeats, or just know that the rows were numbered wrong. And I hoped it wasn't MY mistake when I wrote the pattern. :-) When I got home, the first thing I did was turn on my computer, find the pattern file for the hat, and check it out. Whew! It wasn't my mistake. The pattern, as published, has an excess of rows. The row counts at the end don't make sense. So - here is the correction:

Rows 14 – 72: Repeat Rows 2 through 13 four more times. Then repeat Rows 2 through 12 one time.

After you do this, you will have 72 rows all together. Then, follow the directions for sewing the seam and gathering the top.

No comments: