Friday, October 26, 2007

Filet Crochet Book review


I have to admit, I have a couple of serious addictions in relation to crochet. One of them is to books! (I won't even tell you right now about how I have satisfied my yarn addiction in the past two weeks!) I haunt the local bookstores - on the premise of getting some coffee, but you and I know it's really to look at the new crochet and knitting books. I also look on Amazon.com to see what new books are going to be published soon. So when I saw "Stitch Collection: Filet Crochet" by Betty Barnden on Amazon, along with "Stitch Collection: Textured Crochet" by Helen Jordan, I was intrigued. I usually like to look at a book first, so I thought I would wait until the local book stores got the books. I found the Textured Crochet book at the store, and I bought it promptly (they had just one copy). But they didn't have the Filet Crochet book. So I waited, and waited, and waited, and when they still didn't get it, I ordered it. Wow! It is a definite MUST HAVE! Even if you don't work in thread. (I don't.) If you work mesh stitches, or want to work mesh stitches, this book gives you all the info you need to do it: which stitches to use, how many chains to work between stitches, how to start and end rows with solid squares or squares that are spaces. And much more! And all this info is in an easy-to-read chart, which is worth the money for the book!
There are pictures of different size meshes, also, so that you can see what you'll have as a finished product. The mesh patterns are shown in yarn (or thread), in charts, and in easy repeats. And they are also shown with ideas on how to use the patterns in designs.
This book came just in time - I was trying to work a mesh pattern in a design I was working up, and was running into trouble with it. When I read the info in the book, I started over on my swatch, and it came out perfectly! (Sorry, I can't show it to you right now - it's a proposal for a publication.)
Also, the book is small - 6 1/2" wide x 8" high - so it's portable. I think it's going to live for awhile in my crochet tote bag.

Check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/2yv7yv

1 comment:

Guanaja Sharon said...

I am just starting off in filet crochet after crocheting for 45 years. I wanted to order a good book (I've downloaded instructions from the net but want a book)and came across your comments about Stitch Collection Filet Crochet. Do you think it would useful as a beginner's book for filet crochet. Was the textured crochet book worth purchasing?
Sharon