Monday, October 15, 2007

More Granny Squares



I promised more swatches - here they are.
This first one is Crystal Palace Deco-Ribbon (70% acrylic, 30% nylon, 80 yards/50 grams, 3 stitches/inch on 10.5 US). Deco-Ribbon is one of my favorite ribbons. It's soft, easy to crochet with, comes in some dynamite colors! I've done a lot of designing with it - purses and ponchos mostly, and I wanted to see how it would work in a Granny Square. When I do purses with Deco-Ribbon, I usually use an H hook; it gives me the firm fabric I want. So I thought I would try an H with the Granny Square. Yes, the H hook made it firm, perhaps a little too firm for a garment. I probably would go up one or two hook sizes. But I like how the ribbon looks in the Granny Square!




If you have never crocheted with Rowan Summer Tweed, walk - no - run down to your local yarn shop and get yourself a skein of this yarn! Wow! I've used it before in a design with other yarns. I liked it then, I love it now! It comes in some fantastic colors, and they all look good together. Here are the particulars: Rowan Summer Tweed ( 70% silk, 30% cotton, 50 grams, 108 meters, 118 yards, 16 stitches and 23 rows/4 inches on US 8, 5 mm needles.) The squares have substance: they are soft and drapey, but not loose and unstructured. I am becoming addicted to this yarn! I want to make everything with it! And tomorrow, I'm going to be right near the yarn shop that sells it. I know I'll stop in with my checkbook!



One more yarn for tonight (I feel this urge to crochet!). This yarn, Berroco Suede, is not the type of yarn you would think would work well in a Granny Square. But guess what? It does! I used an H hook, and the stitches are well defined. The drape is good, and the structure of the square is solid, not too loose. I can see many uses for this. Here are the particulars: Berroco Suede
(100% Nylon, 1.75 oz, 50 grams, 111 meters, 120 yards, 19 stitches and 28 rows to 4 inches on US 8, 5mm needles.) And, don't worry, I'm not going to buy any tomorrow - I already ordered some today! (Did I mention all the colors that are available?)

No comments: